Wednesday 20 July 2011

Newly catalogued




I’m busy cataloguing newly arrived stock and thought you might enjoy a sneak preview.

Who can resist Orlando the Marmalade Cat? Not me that’s for sure. Orlando a camping holiday is the first of the Orlando books introducing Orlando, his wife Grace, and their kittens, Blanche, Pansy and Tinkle. Orlando is a gorgeous marmalade cat with gooseberry-green eyes, his wife Grace is a tabby and their three kittens are white, tortoiseshell and black! I've catalogued paperback and hardback editions and a scarce copy of Orlando becomes a doctor. Orlando is now sold, thank you for your interest.
This is a really nice copy of Teddy Tar and Bobby Bun published around 1960. These little books never stay around for long and looking at the colourful illustrations I can see why. Teddy Tar is now sold, thank you for your interest.



The Pookie books by Ivy Wallace are always popular. Pookie is a little white rabbit with wings, who goes to live with a woodcutter's daughter named Belinda. He sleeps in Belinda's red satin lined work basket, and wears little blue overalls. I’ve just catalogued copies of Pookie, Pookie's Big Day and Pookie Puts the World Right. All the Pookie books are now sold, thanks for looking. 
A fair copy of Mr & Mrs Tomnoddy published by Longmans Green in 1934. The covers are not in great condition but the contents are good and as it’s the first copy I’ve seen I decided to include it. Written and illustrated by M.M.B Higham  (Madeline Maud Bellamy) it contains over 300 line drawings and has chapter headings like - a tremendous big wedding-cake, the Tomnoddys buy a dog, that vexatious Mrs. Ponsonby Hobbs, the Tomnoddys on holiday, out with the evergreen Welkins and Mrs. Tomnoddy at Hollywood.  I’m intrigued by the evergreen Welkins and Mrs. Ponsonby Hobbs so must make an effort to read it! 
Mr & Mrs Tomnoddy is now sold, thank you for your interest.






I'm a big fan of Tove Jansson’s Mommin books so was delighted to find first (UK) editions of Moominland Midwinter and The exploits of Momminpappa. I've also catalogued paperback and hardback editions of other’s in the series.
All the Moomin books are now sold, thanks for looking.

This picture is from ‘A child’s day’ written by Walter de la Mare first published in 1912 this is a reprint copy from 1915. A book of rhymes all about ‘Elizabeth Ann’ with 24 black and white photographs. A child's day is now sold, thank you for your interest. 

I hope you've enjoyed this quick preview.  

Do you have fond memories of any of these or other childhood books? I would love to know so please feel free to leave a comment. 


Update July 2016: March House books closed on my retirement in 2015, but I do still blog here at March of Time Books and always appreciate your visit. 


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. These priceless stories and pictures you collect are intriguing. Naming a cat Orlando - just too good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbaraannefisher21 July 2011 at 16:06

    I’m really pleased you enjoy them. Thank you for taking the time to call in and comment I appreciate it. Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Mr Tomnoddy AND Orlando as a child - I think both were my mother's ... I still have them. Thank you for raving about them here - I loved them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always happy to talk about favourite books. Thank you for calling in for taking time the time to leave a comment and well done on hanging on to those books. Barbara.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx